my MOTTO


I made this widget at MyFlashFetish.com.

Saturday 19 January, 2008

All that glitters is not gold

By Desaraju Surya
Vijayawada: “If you are not making (earning) at least Rs 50 lakh a month, you are an idiot.”
This was what a relatively young IAS officer had to tell his fellow babus at a grand party he hosted upon his transfer to New Delhi on deputation to Government of India service very recently.
Apart from his batchmates, many of his junior IAS officers attended the party, hosted in the IAS Officers’ Association premises in Hyderabad. The joyous babu’s impulsive remark virtually flummoxed the fellow bureaucrats as the former was “till then” considered a rather upright officer, given his “successful” (pun) track record. Some junior babus tried to draw inferences to their senior’s remark while some others wondered how brazenly one could exhort others to tread a slushy path.
“I heard he comes from a very rich business family. Why still does he have such a lust for wealth,” a junior IAS officer wondered.
The IAS officer in question, during his junior stint in the late 1990s, told me that he joined the service only to fulfill his father’s desire. “He (father) wanted me to become an IAS officer and so I am here. Once I complete my stint as a district Collector and Magistrate, I will call it quits,” I remember him telling me. And, he always used to speak high about Swami Vivekananda and his lofty ideals. He had read the Complete Works of Swami Vivekananda many a time and, in fact, even suggested that I read it. (Though I subsequently purchased the volumes, I haven’t yet read them. It’s a different matter).
During our interactions quite regularly, the officer would also recount his experiences in his previous stints as a bureaucrat. All this, coupled with his style of functioning, has left in me a rather ‘very good’ impression about him.
Years passed by and thereafter I met him on not more than four or five occasions – the notable one being in the house of a former Chief Minister. And, as he began approaching the end of his collectorship, I increasingly thought he would quit IAS very soon and genuinely felt that an “able and upright” officer would not be available for public service.
Another IAS officer, considered the aforementioned’s ‘Chela,’ however sought to allay my apprehensions and asserted that his “boss” was a “typical bureaucrat” and would never leave the service midway.
Between all these, there were many stories related to the officer’s dubious practices of making money. His foray into the booming real-estate and other issues became a point of debate not only in the bureaucratic circles but also in the media, though nothing much was reported about it actually. The kind of impression I had established on him made me discount any talk of wrongdoing on part of the officer and my assumption was that he was filthy rich enough to be corrupt. Since I look at life only in a particular way (largely positive), it did not take much time for my false notion to be broken.
And once that IAS party remark came to my light, I was left with no other option except to accept the harsh reality.
It’s time for me to wear a new set of glasses to look at things in the right perspective.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The write up is good. Kudos for some interesting facts. Keep up the spirit of writing.

ybr (alias ybrao a donkey) said...

The adage: All that glitters is not gold -- applies to Vivekananda also. This you will realise if you thoroughly study the Complete works of Vivekananda with eyes wide open. If you have no time, pl. at least have a glance at my pain-staking work: www.Vivekanandayb.BlogSpot.Com. Teluguloo rend`u saametalu unnaayi: 1. Merise danta meelimi kaadu. 2. Duurapu kond`alu nunupu. Miiru Vijayavadaloo unnaaru kanuka, neenu samiipam loone unnaanu kanuka, manaku caala kondalu mangalagiri, kond`apalli, kond`aviidu etc. kanipistaayi. Telugu vaall`aku Vivekananda pai ati premaku kaaran`amu aayana aaroojulaloo Andhra Pradesh ku raaleedu. At that time Calcutta - Madras Railway line was not ready. If people had to go from Vizag to Madras, they used to go by a steamer. This you can see in Gurajada's Kanyasulkam also. Vivekananda with cigar in his mouth, looks like Giriis`am. There is a proverb in Telugu: Ravi kaanani coo kavi gaancuneyyed`an. I always felt that Gurajada had Vivekananda in his mind when he wrote Kanyasulkam. This may be only a coincidence. Vivekananda's Venkatesam was Alasinga.

If you have questions to ask me, you can also contact me through Email, at specificpurp@gmail.com.

You are 100% right about corruption of IAS Officers.