my MOTTO


I made this widget at MyFlashFetish.com.

Friday 27 February, 2009

MY JOURNEY AS A JOURNALIST




Desaraju Surya
I turned 20, as a journalist, today. For me, it has been quite an eventful journey and a fantastic learning process.
On this occasion, I would first like to express my sincere gratitude to a few persons who actually shaped me as a journalist and helped me grow. Messrs Ananthaneni Ravi Kumar, P Hari Prasad, Boddu Bhaskar, Suresh and Peddada Navin were those who guided me through the initial days of my career – which I began as a news contributor for Eenadu Telugu daily way back on February 26, 1990. And then, there were the likes of V Gopalakrishna Murthy (Gampalagudem Murthy) and Chilukuri Venu who too used to enable me learn the fine art of writing.
I was literally a college drop-out with absolutely no interest in academics. All I possessed at that time was just common sense, some general knowledge and a youthful zeal. A few years into the profession, I acquired a graduate degree and subsequently pursued a PG diploma course in journalism and mass communications, a PG diploma in international business and PG in public administration.
I had always been an avid listener of news on radio since my childhood days and also a good reader of newspapers (Eenadu, Andhra Prabha and Indian Express) which helped me understand news and style of writing.
The way the likes of Kandukuri Suryanarayana, Addanki Mannar, Koppula Subba Rao, Prayaga Ramakrishna read out the news on All India Radio, left an impression in my mind and that kept me going from the day one of my career. I literally followed the script, so to say. I also used to listen the English, Hindi and Sanskrit news bullet-ins on radio and subsequently on Doordarshan. I have no hesitation in saying that those bullet-ins were the “real” news presented in a lucid style without any distortions and gave the information required for people. They were, in fact, an education in news writing as well.
I was very childish at the time I began my career as a journalist. But the seniors in Eenadu were very appreciative and always helped me out by teaching the basics of news reporting and offering me valuable suggestions to improve myself.
There was one “Satyam master” who used to edit reports for Newstime, an English daily then run by the Eenadu group, in his post-retirement as a lecturer.
Noticing the interest in me, he encouraged me to write a few reports in English for Newstime. The legendary cricketer Kapil Dev visited Vijayawada on a promotional trip once in April 1991 and I took the opportunity to report that in English. It was published as a two-column box story in Newstime and I was elated. There were many who patted me on the back for that and it only spurred me to learn more and write more.
During my Eenadu days, I also used to write filmy reports for their film weekly Sitara and I covered the 100-days celebration of Gang Leader, the Chiranjeevi-starrer. It was the first time I physically saw my idol Chiranjeevi and the report came out very well.
Subsequently I quit Eenadu, re-joined it for a few more months before I was unceremoniously thrown out. That, however, proved a blessing in disguise and provided me an opportunity to work independently in a small newspaper called Mahanagar (evening daily). Later, I worked for another evening daily Pledge under the able guidance of senior editor (late) Kuchimanchi Satya Subrahmanyam. I shall never forget him. He was the one who brought me into English journalism and ensured that I continued in it though at one point I thought of going back to Telugu writing. Subrahmanyam garu, with his vast experience, was a very good teacher and a nice human being.
The newspapers may be “small” but the exposure they provided was really big. I was very fortunate to have worked in those newspapers, particularly under Subrahmanyam garu. Otherwise, I would have been nowhere in this profession despite having learnt a good deal of news reporting in Eenadu.
My first major break came in 1997 when I was appointed a trainee reporter in Deccan Chronicle. Mr Sriramulu was my chief in the Vijayawada bureau and working under him was another memorable experience. He is a thorough professional and man of great knowledge. He is a workaholic and a task master too. I should remember (late) Jagannathan here. He was our affable news editor and a great classical Carnatic singer. He was a good teacher as well.
In 2001, I moved over to The Times of India and was with it for six years. The only inspiring person here was M H K. He continues to be my friend, philosopher and guide.
Two persons need mention here: P B Koteswara Rao (Balu) and M Sambasiva (Samba). Only I know the kind of inspiration they have been right through my stints in DC and ToI.
From a stringer, I have now risen to become a Principal Correspondent after 19 long years in the profession. I value it a lot since only I know that I did not take any shortcuts. There have been ups and downs through these years but somehow God has helped me overcome the troubles and continue my climb. Good friends were always there to keep me going.
Undoubtedly, I have been “very sincere” to my profession right from the day one and continue to work with the same kind of zeal, devotion and sincerity. I have never compromised on values and I can certainly be proud of my achievements, even if they are only a few.
Only three or four people who too began their careers like me 18-19 years ago have succeeded in rising to a good position now. Murali (TV9), Bala Krishna (The New Indian Express), Pavan (Mumbai Mirror) and Yugandhar Reddy (Vizag). Hardwork and sincerity were their traits too. And, that’s the secret of success. Many others faded into the oblivion.
For me, there is still a long way ahead.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations for completing two decades of adventure. Really inspiring thoughts. You can start writing short stories based on your experiences. They will help you go places. Three cheers to you!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for remembering my name when you were recollecting your Journalistic carrer. Wish you more success in the carrer. Congratulations once again for completing two decades of carrer in Journalism.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations..."sun god".Being in journalistic career for two decades and still going strong with lot of enthusiasm is some thing rare.Let me share some thing which i always thought but never told you...you are too good to be a journalist.I used to wonder how you are surviving as a journalist, with your openness and straight forwardness..
Wish you all the best and love to see you for many more decades as the same young lovable child.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations..."sun god".Being in journalistic career for two decades and still going strong with lot of enthusiasm is some thing rare.Let me share some thing which i always thought but never told you...you are too good to be a journalist.I used to wonder how you are surviving as a journalist, with your openness and straight forwardness..
Wish you all the best and love to see you for many more decades as the same young lovable child.

Anonymous said...

good and inspiring. keep going... Ramesh