my MOTTO


I made this widget at MyFlashFetish.com.

Saturday 16 August, 2008

A dream unrealised


By Desaraju Surya
Hyderabad: He played a villain, an anti-hero, lover boy, lawyer, dancer, ruffian, a Cowboy, politician, a sportsman, a thief, a cobbler, a murderer, professor, Lord Siva, IPS officer, industrialist, Charlie Chaplin, a woman and a host of other characters in the 148 films he has acted in, in a career spanning 30 years.
Konidela Siva Sankara Varaprasad, alias Chiranjeevi, however, could not play his dream role – the one that’s close to his heart.
Ever since he became an actor in 1978, Chiranjeevi wanted to don legendary freedom fighter and martyr Bhagat Singh’s role as the latter was always his “inspiration.” Sometime after his first mighty hit Khaidi was released in late 1983, Chiranjeevi himself had stated this in an interview to a film magazine. Years passed and he gradually was caught in a rigid image frame which did not allow him to do off beat roles like Bhagat Singh. Hence, it remained an unrealized dream for Chiranjeevi.
I had a chance meeting Chiranjeevi in December 1995 in Vijayawada when I broached the issue with him. “Yes, it is certainly my dream role but I am unable to don it because of my current image. People are used to my dances and fights and Bhagat Singh’s role certainly doesn’t have scope for this. I doubt if my fans would accept me in that role, so I am hesitant to do Bhagat Singh,” Chiranjeevi had admitted.
He was repentant but was equally helpless! A price he had to pay for being a Mega Star!
Interestingly, Chiranjeevi never again spoke about his dream role as he acquired a larger-than-life image as an actor.

No comments: